Sunday, June 10, 2007

Skinnamarinkydinkydink, skinnamarkinkydoo


I spent quite a bit of time at the children’s festival last week. It was awesome.

People who entertain children for a living have a really tough job. It seems like an isolating profession. While playing for drunks in a bar is one thing, at least drunks dance if there is something even remotely close to a beat. And they will come give you high fives after the show. Imagine trying to entertain a crowd of squirming five-year-olds with only a guitar. Sharon and Bram can.

Yes, the Sharon and Bram of Sharon, Lois and Bram. Lois is retired.

The pair hokey-pokied it old-school in Saskatoon last week. It was a blast from my childhood, and I made the mistake of sitting in the second row so I sort of felt compelled to perform all the actions – which I remembered. I probably had the biggest goofiest grin on my face, and looking around I think all the parents in the room were also having as much fun (or more) as their kids were.

Sharon and Bram deserve more credit than they get. Their songs are legendary, they have sold four million records, and they can still pack a tent full of five-year-olds 30 years after they started entertaining. It’s like the Rolling Stones, but for small children.

No comments: