Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Ladyhawk





(May 28/07, Amigos)

Don’t immediately discredit me, but I went into the Ladyhawk show blind, or more appropriately, largely unfamiliar with their music. A friend at work told me they were "so good," then couldn’t go to the show. I found someone else to go with, and am glad I did, if for nothing else than something to do on a Monday.

The sound was refreshing - good rock music without being too mellow or too weird or too cookie cutter. The rock part was solidly there, with driving melodic bass lines from up-front and out there bassist Sean Hawryluk and steady beats from Ryan Peters. The pair were completely in sync for the whole show. Much appreciated.

The band was in town for the Dinosaur Jr. gig the night before and gave a shout-out to the now reunited mid-90s alt rock group. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to consider Ladyhawk a descendent, especially with singer Duffy Driediger’s vocal delivery often resembling J Mascis’ pleading tone.

Ladyhawk got two encores at Amigo’s, a first for the band, we were told. Not sure if they were deserved, but the chant “back to work” would likely shame any honest musician into trying to eke out one more song.

Good show. I’d go see them again in a year or so, and I’ll likely buy their album when I’m in the right mood. Well played Ladyhawk, for a Monday.

No comments: