Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Holy Mother Mother of a ...


DANCE PARTY! Okay, so I'll tone down the obnoxious capital letters, but I almost forgot about Friday's Mother Mother show after so much condensed music appreciation.

WHO: Mother Mother
WHERE: Amigo's
WHEN: June 22/07

This show was very exciting to me. I've had it pencilled into my calender, no make that inked into my calendar in big capital letters for more than a month. Why, you ask? Well because Mother Mother play the catchiest songs, with the craziest hooks and put on a damn good dance party. At times like synthy-dance-pop, at times weirdly folky with a beachy west-coast sentiment, and sometimes just damn good, Mother Mother are becoming one of my favourite bands, if for nothing other than their incredible quirkiness.

They play again at the Regina Folk Festival. I will stalk them - ahem - follow them there. I encourage others to come and enjoy their quirky pop goodness.

Volcanoless In Canada followed Mother Mother. I was going to just chill out, but ended up dancing to this show too. It was odd but fun to hear screamo again. I hadn't since my early-university appreciation of Alexisonfire. This local band is fresh off a NXNE show in Toronto, and sounded pretty good at their Friday performanc.

No comments: