Monday, July 2, 2007

Coco Love Alcorn


WHO: Coco Love Alcorn
WHERE: House Concert
WHEN: June 28/07

It feels like forever since the Coco Love Alcorn experience but the fact that I've made time to listen to her album Sugar three times in the last crazy four days is a sign that I'm onto something really good.

First of all, she performed her Saskatoon show in a house. It was my first house concert, and I can understand why people say they have a hard time going to shows in any other setting after attending a few of these.

She seemed a little out of sorts with being so close to us the audience at first, but after a couple of songs we were all on the same wavelength. Getting to see her perform these songs up close and very personal basically turned me into a fan for life.

The highlights that stick out to me are as follows:

1) Her beautiful tribute to her bicycle.
2) The song Mary Goes Round. Check it out.
3) Her scat solos.
4) Her sweet introduction of her husband, who she married eight months ago, fell passionately in love with instantly and now travels across the country making art projects with.
6) Her "imaginary band." As I listen to the CD, I keep envisioning her up on the little stage, asking us to imagine the band in our head.

Alcorn plans to tour back through Saskatchewan again in the fall. If you are into female jazz singers with powerful voices and an emotional mastery of their music, check her out.

No comments: