Monday, July 30, 2007

The Buttless Chaps


WHO: The Buttless Chaps
WHERE: Amigo's
WHEN: July 28/07

The Buttless Chaps are a good band who make the kind of music that I dream about making at night. Luckily I avoided the fan club treatment, although I really liked their work.

What happened onstage seemed more like play. At times it became a keyboard party, with three people playing keys while Dave Gowans sang, everyone in the band smiling at each other like they were in on some secret we'd never understand.

Gowan's guitar and countrified vocals (I love his deep voice) blended in such an odd but delightful way with all the electronic quirkiness.

"Neil Young Trans," said a friend. The reason I qoute anonymous friends is that everyone has such good insight on the musical experience. Mostly more than me because I always overthink things.

So at risk of doing so, I will say that the vocoder duet with Ida (of Great Aunt Ida) was tentative and delightful and seemed like so much fun, and the set flew by in far shorter amounts of time than Friday-night shows usually do.

Luckily I was able to acquire both recent CDs and some Buttless Chapstick, so along with filling my ears with memories of the Buttless Chaps, I can also rub them all over my lips. Clever marketing.

No comments: