Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Tragically Hip



















WHO: The Tragically Hip
WHERE: Bessborough Gardens
WHEN: July 18/07

Yes. I was there and completed a life goal by seeing this band.

I particularly enjoy this review of the show, although it is quite the love-up. I left wishing I'd seen the band ten years ago, when they were raw and full of testosterone, knowing they still had to prove it to people. Still, despite his many road miles and enough fans to never need to try again Downey moved around the stage like an electric jellyfish, loose and full of energy. Guitarist Rob Baker also proved his chops on a particularly emotional steel solo on Wheat Kings, his long hair hanging in front of his face.

Overall, I'm so glad I had the good fortune to be there. The Hip's music has so much complexity, and although I love them in rock-show format, I also have a not-so-secret dream to hear Gord Downie perform an intimate acoustic set that lets his beautifully poetic lyrics take precedence. But that's just me. Rock on.

Photo is by Gord Waldner/The Star Phoenix, www.canada.com

No comments: