Friday, August 10, 2007

REGINA FOLK FEST

WHO: Sarah Slean
WHEN: 7 p.m.

I made it for half of her show. She's amazing. (said with breathless voice)
Dressed in a floaty fuschia dress, she looked like she might drift away as she unleashed her powerfully enchanting voice. From breathy vixen to French chanteuse, she drifted between moods and sounds. Her best stuff was her new material - particularly a song written while alone in Paris, and her all-out finale. I'm not sure what it was called. Her piano playing is also incredible although went unnoticed as I stood rapt in her voice.

WHO: LOS DE ABAJO
WHEN: 8 p.m.
Like a Mexican mariache band with a taste of heavy metal. This show was unexpected. It always seems to be the bands don't expect to be good that are. This was a dance party and a half, culminating in a conga line.

WHO: The Hylozoists
WHEN: 9:30 p.m. (ish)

Xylophone fever. Or actually "vibraphone." Like a symphonic dreamscape with no lyrics. Drifting. This would be much better... on weed.

WHO: Buck 65
WHEN: 10 p.m. (ish)

Between trying to figure out where to go for volunteering and taking a few photos (all of which will appear soon) I didn't get to see much of this show, to my great disappointment. He's a great, theatrical performer with a serious appreciation for formative hip hop music. A little bit funny for an East-Coast Canadian dude, but hey, that's the beauty of the unexpected. I will try hard to see him again at some point in my life. Which might be hard, because I believe he now lives in Europe, where I'm sure he's huge.

No comments: